- This event has passed.
Hike Sterling Forest/Bare Rock Tuxedo, NY
October 6 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Description: Join the Morris Ski Club on a moderate/strenuous hike in the Sterling Forest New York. Our hike begins with a visit to the remnants of an old iron mine and furnace. After a few miles we will arrive at Bare Rock which offers a fantastic view of Greenwood Lake including the section where we have gone paddle boarding. The hike continues with a climb involving some minor rock scrambling to the Sterling Forest Fire Tower for some additional views. We will then finish off the day by going to a nearby bar and grill (probably Rhodes North).
Important notes for the hike:
- Hiking boots are highly recommended as the trails are rocky in spots and can be muddy
- Daypack to carry extra clothing, sufficient water and your snack or lunch.
- Bring a camera (Bare Rock and the Fire Tower are great for photos).
- Restroom facilities are located inside the visitor’s center.
- GPS Coordinates: 19787,-74.256125)
Directions to the hike location from Morristown:
- Take I-287 North – merging briefly onto the NYS Thruway (toward Albany) but
immediately exiting at 15A onto Rte 17 North
- Turn left at the bottom of the ramp onto Route 17 and head north for 1.4 miles to the exit for Sterling Forest.
- Follow Sterling Mine Road (County Route 72) west for 3.0 miles.
- At the traffic light, turn right onto Long Meadow Road (County Route 84).
- Long Meadow Road past IBM for a total of 3.5 miles.
- Turn left onto Sterling Lake Road
- After 0.5 mile make a right onto Old Forge Road.
- Parking lot will be on the right.
For additional directions enter Sterling Forest Visitor’s Center.
Event leader: Paul Van Duyne C (201) 470-9317 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign Up: Advanced sign up by e-mail is not required is appreciated.
Weather: If the weather is questionable the status of hike will be posted on the Yahoo and Meet-up sites.To contact Paul the day of the hike with any other questions (201) 470-9317.